Tuesday 2 September 2008

September Preview

After a painfully slow August, which had me constantly rummaging around the back shelves of game stores for review material, I’m really relishing the prospect of September. With the amount of quality games coming out, I’ve got a lot of gaming to get through… it’s going to be hard to ever consider this “work”.

I’ve got at least five game reviews lined up for September, they’re all in a schedule and I can almost guarantee I’ll be able to get them all done.

1. Too Human (Xbox 360) (UK release 29/08/08)

I’ve been following this game for a while and, after playing the demo through about six times, I’m really looking forward to playing through the full version. Considering Silicon Knight have had three years to develop this game since it was announced for the Xbox 360 in 2005, I’d be incredibly disappointment if this flopped.

With it’s innovative controls, great looks and huge customisation options, I’m confident Too Human will be able to overcome a fairly weak storyline and prove to be one of the better games of the year.

Prediction: 8/10

2. Spore (PC) (UK release 05/09/08)

After a years exile from PC gaming, I think it’s about time for me to dive back into the world of CD keys and minimum spec requirements. And if I’m going to do it with any game, it might as well be Spore.

Normally I’m not a big fan of EA, because of the ludicrous amounts of sports games they develop and effectively force the consumer to keep up with. But when it comes to something like Spore, which clearly set a massive bar for itself and had a huge amount of development time, I just have to check it out. I’ve been a big fan of simulation games since playing Sim Town when I was seven, so I’m interested to see how this works out.

I have massive expectations for Spore. Maxis have been given years to perfect this game, and I’ve got a feeling Spore will live up to the hype.

Prediction: 9/10

3. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, PS2) (UK Release 05/09/08)

I remember playing the original Mercenaries a few years ago, and thinking it was an absolute riot. Back then it was another level or carnage and devastation for me, one that I’d never experienced before. This sequel, ‘World in Flames’, seems to have a little bit more to it.

It’s hard to see this one going wrong. With the possibilities for co-operative and multiplayer carnage over Xbox Live, I think I’m going to have a lot of fun with this one. Besides, if all else fails, I’m sure I’ll have fun carpet bombing terrorists.

Prediction: 8/10

4. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo Wii, PS2, Nintendo DS, PSP, N-Gage, iPhone)

Damn, LucasArts haven’t missed a trick when it comes to the platforms they’re releasing it on, have they?

As a long-time Star Wars nerd, I can’t help but look forward to this. I’ve done a bit of research on this one, watching trailers and interviews, and I’ve been really impressed with what I’ve seen so far. With the game is based on the most fantastic premise: “Kick ass with the Force”, it’s hard to see this one going too wrong.

I did play the demo and I got a real kick out of it. I did think that the force powers were a little basic, that the environment was a little samey, and that the AI was thick as pig shit, but I’m still confident that the final game will shine. The trailers have shown a variety of environments and a development of force powers, so I‘m definitely going to give The Force Unleashed a chance.

Prediction: 8/10

5. Mirror’s Edge (Xbox 360, PS3, PC) (UK Release 26/09/08)

I’m not sure why Mirror’s Edge is being released in the UK over a month before it’s US release, all I can really say on the matter is “Go suck it, we were due”.

I’ve always loved the concept of free-running, that’s why I loved playing Assassin’s Creed. Mirror’s Edge looks like it’s taking that to another level by removing the HUD and making the game entirely first person. This is as close as someone like me is going to get to free-running, so I’m relishing the prospect.

It seems like EA can’t do much wrong at the moment and I think Mirror’s Edge, with it’s unique gameplay and brilliant looks, could be one of the best games of the year.

Prediction: 9/10

No comments: